Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A New Chapter...

Well it officially happened tonight and if you know Owen, it was NOT without extreme drama. He lost his first tooth.

It's been loose for about 3 weeks now, and I have been wanting it to fall out all by itself, but tonight it was so loose I told him we should just pull it. So for an hour and a half after dinner he screamed that he was scared and didn't want us to pull it. He tried pulling it - this all after many tears and red swollen eyes. I wanted it to just be done so I tried bribing him with being able to play the Wii tonight which is normally a Friday night event. So that made the situation, er...better or worse. It made him want to have his tooth pulled more but it also made him more scared. Finally I told him I was going to pick up dinner dishes and then he started screaming because he knew it was his last chance to play the Wii tonight. So he said that he needed to numb it, so I got him an ice pack. He held it there for a few minutes and when I said it was time to pull it, he started freaking out again, so I said enough. I grabbed him threw him backwards on my knee and grabbed the tooth. It didn't give right away and it started bleeding before I got it out, which freaked him out (and me a little, being my first tooth to pull and all), so I yelled for Tony to come help me, but by the time he got there the tooth had popped out. It bled pretty good for about a minute. He washed out his mouth and was fine the rest of the night. He was all smiles after the fact! (Just like I knew he would be, which is why I didn't feel bad about being a bit forceful).

So tonight the Tooth Fairy will visit our house for the first of many trips! He was so cute and excited to put his little tooth in an envelope under his pillow. He was asking a million questions, like what she looked like and how she would take the tooth, etc. I told him that I didn't know for sure, because I only know how she took my teeth as a kid. At first he put the envelope as far under his pillow as possible and I got a little worried about that, but then he said that maybe he should slide it out some to help her out. Phew, that was nice of him! ha ha.

I was way  more emotional about the whole situation than I thought I'd be. I thought I'd be a little sentimental, but I bawled like a baby and tear up even when I think about it now. He's officially not a baby anymore. He's growing up and will someday leave the nest and that elates me and breaks my heart all at the same time. And Owen being the sentimental and dramatic kid he is, god love him, he started crying because I was crying and said he didn't want to ever leave me. What a nice boy. :) I feel so emotional about the whole event. It felt almost as happy as the day he was born to be honest. It was this swell of love and happiness for him and thankfulness that he is in my life but a bit of sadness as well to know that I will love something so much and it will someday leave the nest as all babies do! It was probably as emotional, if not more so, than his first day of Kindergarten.

As Owen is losing teeth, which he will be losing another one in the next couple of weeks already, Tess is growing them like wild fire. She is 10 1/2 months old and has grown 6 new teeth since she turned 10 months old. She will be eating steak before we know it! Another odd teeth tidbit is Raymond this weekend said he had something in his mouth hurting him. I looked and lo and behold, he is getting his 6 year old molars (which Owen just got late summer!!!!) Raymond is catching up on Owen in the teething department. Which means Raymond will probably lose a tooth by the end of this year or this summer. Crazy!

Well here are a few pictures of my adorable kiddos. Enjoy! (actually I just tried to upload my photos and it's being weird and saying 'server rejected' whatever that means!) So I'll post them later.

4 comments:

Dani said...

Congrats! I was traumatized by the whole teeth-pulling ordeal as a kid. The second my dad found out that one of my teeth was getting loose, he's throw me on the couch, pin me down, pull his handkerchief from his pocket(this was used to get traction on teeth that really weren't loose enough to be pulled!) and rip my tooth out! I started keeping loose teeth a secret for as long as possible after my second tooth!

Kelly S said...

You almost made me cry and also made my gums hurt! I told Mom I want to make a copy of that letter I wrote the Tooth Fairy when I wanted that Precious Moments giraffe from Ben Franklin's. I was so serious and desperate when I scribbled it on the envelope and totally convinced the Tooth Fairy wouldn't let me down. I'm sure Mom and Dad had a good laugh. *sobs* ;)

Unknown said...

Are you going to keep his tooth in an envelope like ours are? lol!

I hate blogger some (most) times. I have problems uploading pics ALL THE TIME.

Congrats on the tooth! :)

Anonymous said...

Gosh! Your post makes me dread that day, because I know I'll be emotional just like you. Sam and Owen sound similar in that they are both sensitive little souls. :)
Linds