Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Christmas is coming

I can't believe how fast time is flying. Halloween came and went, my sisters wedding is a blur, and now Thanksgiving has already come and gone. How can time go by so quickly? I feel myself aging everyday and I feel like time is going by so quickly that I can't get anything done.

This years Christmas is going to be smaller, for two reasons. First of all, we just don't have the money this year, but more importantly we want to teach the kids that it's ok to get a few things for Christmas, but the real reason of the season is to celebrate Jesus' birthday. They are very excited to start their Advent calendars this year. I'm having a hard time thinking of some good toy ideas for them, but am super excited to try and make Tess some bows for her hair to put in her stocking. She desperately needs some and I have all the supplies to make them, and found plenty of instructions online on how to make them. I am getting a sewing machine from my mom and dad for my gift this year (yes I already know because I ordered it online on Black Friday from Wal-Mart), and SOOOO excited to learn how to sew on it and make kids gifts for birthday's and Christmas' from now on.

Next weekend we will go cut down our tree from the tree farm, and it's predicted to be the coldest day of the year again so far...like it is every year on the day we choose. We will also decorate the house and tree next weekend. We always like to wait to do it the first weekend of December. I don't like to do it in Nov.

Anyways. We have a few gifts bought and a few more to go, but we will have a nice smaller Christmas this year. I am going to look into some volunteer opportunities that I can do with at least the two older boys.

I hope you are all enjoying this time of Christmas prepartion. Don't forget Jesus this season, he's the only reason we have this holiday to begin with! :)

3 comments:

Kelly S said...

I've had a sewing machine on my list since I was probably 12, and not so much as a beginner's machine for either b'day or Christmas. Even had a few sewing textbooks Mom gave me from a used booksale. Oh well, I guess I'm not worthy. Hmph!

I actually gave up on getting a sewing machine quite a while back.

Now, I plan to focus on my jewelry making and crochet.

:)

MOM said...

Kelly, you and Stacey are both VERY worthy of having a sewing machine...don't think that...Mama Said Sew:) (Kimberly isn't interested, I don't believe, right, Kimberly, but she's worthy of it, too:) I definitely do not remember you wanting a sewing machine since you were 12, Kelly. The age keeps getting younger when you talk about it..haha. The interest has been up and down for both of you for a while, and things just haven't fallen into place for it. I think you girls all have great vision for making things, so we all need to get going on it, right?

Kelly S said...

I remember to this day walking through South Glenn mall in Littleton, talking about wanting a sewing machine when we were standing outside of that poster store I used to like to go into - the one where I got that painted dolphin poster, and I think I was in the 6th or 7th grade, so would've been in the 12-year old range. So there. :)

I'm just excited to crochet. I want to make baby blankets to donate to AIDS babies in Africa, and preemies here, there and everywhere, so they can be all bundled up and warm.