Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Memories....

So last night on a whim and out of pure boredom I begin to plug in old teachers names into Google search and see what I came up with. I typed in my all time favorite teachers name from ninth grade English, Mrs. Shepherd. I put in her name, then English teacher, then Indiana, because I remembered that she had moved there and to my amazement it took me straight to a High School website where a teacher with the same name was teaching ninth grade English!!!
I thought that this was pretty good odds, so I e-mailed this random Mrs. Shepherd and asked if she was the one I remembered and LOW AND BEHOLD, she is one and the same!!!
Needless to say I was elated and excited and shocked when I opened my e-mail this morning to find a response from her and that it was in fact the same!

I'm sure everyone has had that one teacher that has changed your life in some way or done something to help you and you will be forever grateful, she is that teacher to me! I was very shy in public and hated doing class presentations and being in the spotlight (did that change) until her class. She made everything fun and encouraged everyone to be as creative as possible! I remember laughing hysterically in her class it seems like everyday. I used to be so excited for my other classes to get over so I could go to her class. That is where I read "To Kill a Mockingbird" for the first time, which is now my all-time favorite book, where I did a presentation on Jim Henson, and became 'Stacey' a talk show host that interviewed Juliet and Romeo!! That was also the year that her student teacher, Mrs. Schultz, directed the play 'Zartan the Grape Man' and I won the leading role of bad girl pirate 'Tetrina the Terrible!' Aargh. Where ninth grade might be an awkward year for a lot of other people, that was the year that I blossomed and came out of my shell!

Thank you Mrs. Shepherd, you will always be my greatest influence!

2 comments:

hoosiermom said...

Stacey, I feel undeserving of such kind memories. May I just say that you were easy to teach! I stopped by your blog to see your boys; they are beautiful. I wish I could just squeeze your baby--what a face.
You still look like the dimpled girl with the bright spirit that I remember from my happy days at SVJH. Seems like yesterday...
Thanks for finding me.
Mrs. S

Anonymous said...

Sometimes the Internet is wonderful, isn't it? Stacey, I remember you having great moments in this class. Thank you, Mrs. Shepherd.