Tuesday, January 20, 2009

History in the Making

Today at 11:00 I watched the newest president be sworn into office and it was an amazing feeling. I am the first to admit that I did NOT vote for Obama, but that doesn't make me any less emotional and inspired by the fact that I witnessed history today in a momentous event. I am still astounded that the first African American President is finally in office. It seems like it would never happen, no matter how much progress we made in society.

I tried to make the boys understand the gravity of this event, but they were like 'who cares'. I want them to be able to someday say that they remember when...and recount where they were or what they were doing.

I am an emotional person by nature, but today watching Obama speak I felt teary eyed, and I can't explain it but to think that this is a huge huge change. It is monumental and it is an occasion to celebrate. I can only imagine what he was feeling today and I hope that he lives up to everything that he sets out to do and can fix many of our problems. Just cause I didn't vote for him, since he won, I don't want to see him fail because that wouldn't benefit me any! I want him to succeed, so I pray that he does.

So I celebrate our final shift into a new era, where hopefully we can all be equal someday...we are on our way.

No comments: