Saturday, April 4, 2009

Easter Egg Hunt

Today was the day that I have been pumped for all week, the city wide Easter Egg hunt that I could take the boys to. The two mascots from the Minor League baseball team were going to be there, the Easter Bunny, and the UNO mascot. The boys were pumped. There were supposed to be prizes and over 10,000 eggs hidden.

First of all, even though the temperature read about 45-50 degrees, it was 45 mile hour winds and sprinkling off and on, so it was FREEZING! The boys got out of the car all bundled up an hour before the "hunt" was supposed to start, all excited and rearing to go. We met my friend Sheila and her three boys there too.

Finally when it was closer to time to start the "hunt", they had it divided up into age groups (0-3, 4-6, and 7-10). Then they had this big field with eggs just poured all over the ground where it was sort of divided up by these age groups. At first we thought we'd just let my Owen and her oldest Colten pick up eggs in the 0-3 section even though they are both almost 5 because we thought it'd be too hard to divide everyone up with 6 boys in tow. Then they said that there are prize tickets in some of the eggs and the prizes are age appropriate in each age group of eggs. Then they said that the 0-3's start first, then when they are done the next group would go and so on. So Sheila and I decided to hold Owen and Colten back until the 4-6's started. So it began and I went out with her Owen and Raymond to find eggs, they only got about 4-5 each! But while I was out there with them, I heard someone yell on the bull-horn "Go, Go GO!" to the other two age groups. I was SOOOOO mad! So all of the kids dashed out and started grabbing handfuls of eggs and poor Owen and Colten are still standing back on the sidelines waiting to be told they can get eggs, so I yelled to Sheila to send them out there, but by then all the eggs were gone!! So they didn't get ANY!!! What a crock!

I am angry for two main reasons. First I am angry that this whole egg hunt was not better organized. How is a parent of kids in the different age groups supposed to separate their kids to start at the same time? Ridiculous! Second I am super angry at parents. I hope all of friends that are parents don't ever do the stupid parent thing like parents I see. It makes me so mad. Some kids in the 0-3 section had overflowing buckets worth of eggs! Now you cannot tell me that a 0-3 year old picked up all of those eggs on their own!!! Parents should not be able to touch the eggs, that's totally unfair! Second, some people had more than one overflowing basket of eggs and they walk past my kids with NO eggs in their basket. I was talking out loud so people would hear, that "This was SO ridiculous and unfair, you guys got no eggs and look at those people with a ton of eggs!" I was hoping that someone would be generous enough to offer up at least a couple of eggs to Colten and Owen, but I guess I have too high of expectations of people.
Lesson learned. NO more city wide Easter egg hunts. Plus at least my children have now hopefully learned a lesson, no matter how hard and sucky, but they have known how it feels to get no eggs and see other people walking off with bucket loads of them, so hopefully in the future they will be generous and share with others that don't have as much. At least that is what I tried to teach them today.

The only fun thing today was the pictures I got of all 4 of the boys with the mascots at the park. They LOVED that and were so excited that they got to meet those guys.

So since Sheila and I felt so bad for the boys, especially Colten and Owen, we decided to buy them lunch, run to the store and get some plastic eggs and a bunch of candy and make our own hunt at my house. So while the boys ate, I loaded up eggs with candy then went and actually hid them all over the yard. At the other hunt they had just dumped eggs all over the ground, so it wasn't even a hunt it was more a race to see who could pick up the most the fastest. But all of the boys said they had way more fun at our home hunt than the other one. We did it just in the nick of time though, because right after the hunt, Sheila headed home with her boys and two minutes later it started hailing and raining really hard.

Tonight and tomorrow we are supposed to get a similar blizzard that everyone around us got last weekend. Fortunately we are forecasted to get 2-6 inches of snow is all, but it is still supposed to be in the 40's, so it should be gone by Mon. or Tue.

Last tidbit of information...the boys are singing in Church tomorrow at the Palm Sunday service for Preschool! I'll try to get a little clip of them singing to upload.

So, please practice generosity to other children around you and teach your children not to be greedy and please don't be a parent that pushes other kids down to help you get your kid the best prize! I hate those people! :)Colten, Raymond, Owen K., and my Owen with Spike from the Omaha Royals baseball

Colten, Owen K., Raymond, and Owen with Casey from the Omaha Royals Baseball


Raymond, Colten, Owen K., and Owen with the UNO mascot

Raymond, Colten, Owen and Owen K. with the radio station mascot duck.

The boys getting ready for the hunt to start. They were so excited...

All of the eggs spread out all over the ground. It wasn't really a hunt.
Judd bundled up in his stroller. It was FREEZING!

Sheila helping the boys find eggs in my yard. It was more fun than the other one.

Colten and my Owen looking for eggs in my back yard.

Sheila's almost 7 month old Aaron.

Judd, Owen K., Raymond, and Owen opening eggs. Colten's leg is in the left hand side.

4 comments:

Kelly S said...

What a crock! Owen (and Colten) would've shared their eggs if they saw some eggless kids standing around - and they probably wouldn't even have to be told, they'd just do it, because they've been taught manners. Greedy, selfish parents, teaching their kids to be greedy and selfish. Did anyone look at you weird when you were "expressing yourself." :) I'm annoyed for you, or can't you tell. HA!

MOM said...

Now, calm down girls:) What a crock! hee hee. Well, the day turned out ok after all, with the mommies to the rescue, hmm? It sounds like the kids had a good time, and in not such a crowded atmosphere. It looked really cold, though. I hope you are not having the blizzard Kimberly got.

MOM said...

I love the pictures, Stacey. Judd looks so big standing there with his brothers. They seem to be pretty sweet with him. He's one of the guys now. This is actually his second Easter!

Anonymous said...

Did you write that letter?!