Monday, August 10, 2009

Off to School...

So tonight I am feeling a little emotional. It's probably a combination of pregnancy hormones and me constantly thinking about Owen starting Kindergarten on Monday!
Don't get me wrong, I am SO excited and happy for him, but it's more the thought that he is growing up so fast and that I will miss him during the day so much and how much things will change in one week that makes me start to get all teary eyes.
Tonight has been especially teary for me because we went shopping today and got his backpack and lunch box. Even now as I type I have started to drop a few tears. Earlier I was watching him play and started to cry and had to go give him a big hug.
Being pregnant definitely does NOT help. I know that I'd be emotional anyways, but adding those pregnancy hormones just makes it so that it is impossible to stop once I start.
I'm very nervous for this Thursday night because it is his ice cream social and meet the teacher night. We will get to see his classroom all decorated and meet his teacher and see his name on his cubby and desk, etc. Tony will be leaving for Florida on Thursday morning, so it will be only me and Owen and I am afraid I will be uncontrollably emotional. I'm actually trying to cry as much as I can until then so I can hopefully get it out of my system. I don't want to look like a fool and I don't want Owen to be embarrassed by my emotional streaming tears. I'm actually more concerned for Thursday then his first day on Mon. If I get emotional on Mon. when I walk him into his class, I can hurry and give him a kiss and leave before I burst into tears, whereas Thursday night I can't leave him there, I have to stay with him!
He says he is excited and not nervous and he said that he will ask other kids to play with him at recess, and that made me sad/happy too, cause then I started picturing my little boy on the playground asking other kids to play with him, and I pray like crazy that someone will and that he won't be left standing alone on the side of the playground with no one to play with. That is a HUGE fear of mine for him. It makes me so sad to think of him potentially being left out and him feeling sad. I can't stand the thought of that.
Okay. Enough for now, because I am making myself too sad and can't see the computer because of my tears. No word of encouragement please, I know all of them, and I am not crazy, I am completely excited and happy for him, but just wait to all of you out there for your first born to start Kindergarten. It is WAY harder than you would ever imagine! Wish me luck for not making too big of a blubbering fool of myself, for Owen's sake! :)

1 comment:

Kenzie said...

I'm excited for Rylan to start school--but only because I will be there! So on her 1st day I'll follow her around with a camera and capture everything she does! I got the inspiration from the Gifted Teacher, who did the same thing with her daughter last year. Won't Rylan have fun with a mom who is around all the time during the day!