Wednesday, September 2, 2009

What's in a Name??

So it's official. Tony and I have officially decided upon a name for this little girl that will be added to our family in Jan. Since it was a girl, we had no criteria like we did if it was a boy. Our boys' criteria was it had to flow with the other boys' names, he would have to be named after someone in the family, and his name would have to be old fashioned common sounding but not commonly used. VERY DIFFICULT. This is one of the many reasons I am happy to have found out we were having a girl. Tony and I went through the entire baby names book of the boys' section and did not find one that matched our criteria or even one that we remotely liked. Phew. Glad we didn't have to settle on a name!

But she had no criteria, but as it worked out the name we chose fits perfectly in our opinion. It is an old fashioned common sounding name that is not commonly used. And she is named after someone in the family.

So without further ado.....in Jan. we will be welcoming Tess Virginia Coffey. Learn it and love it! :) (Virginia is the first name of Tony's maternal grandma even though everyone calls her Ginny).

5 comments:

Dani said...

Names are hard, but I really like your criteria and I love the new name! I'm super excited for you guys!

MOM said...

Maybe there was a reason, Stacey, that you and Tony couldn't come up with a boy's name, hmmm? God had another plan for you:) I can conjure up all kinds of images of little Tess Virginia, can't you?

Kelly said...

I was already calling her Tess before you knew for sure you were having a girl. :) And it all worked out for your criteria, so it seems like that name was meant to be. Now they will all have someone to associate their names with. I feel special that my middle name is after Grandma McDaniel (even if Marie is probably the most common "bridge" middle name used.)

Anonymous said...

I think it has a good flow! Yay!

MOM said...

That's like 2 of my sisters and I...named after aunts. Hence...ORA Louise, after Aunt Ora, MARY Frances, after Aunt Mary, ISABELLE Nadine, after Aunt Isabelle. However, Aunta Donna thinks I was named after the first baby in our family, Mary Evelyn.