Sunday, June 20, 2010

Is it Summer Already? Part 3 (Vacation - Indiana and conclusion)

After the family reunion in Illinois we headed to Covington, IN where my Aunt Nadine and Uncle Dale live. All of my aunts and uncles houses are a special part of my childhood, but seeing as we used to only live an hour from Aunt N. and Uncle D. , it's easy to understand why we spent every other weekend there when I was growing up and why it's got an extra special place in my heart for childhood memories. So I was very excited to share this place with my kids.

At their house, it is always relaxed. They are both very funny people in my opinion and sitting up all night talking is usually a part of the experience. We spent a lot of time here as kids and there are so many things that we did that the boys automatically started doing too. There is a creek across the street that has a dam that we used to play at and find rocks, etc. Unfortunately it stormed so bad with tornadoes in the area that the rain raised the water too high at the dam for me to take the kids down there- next time. My batteries died on my camera, so I am hoping my mom will e-mail me the pictures she took of this part of the trip.

One place that was very memorable as a child was the Indianapolis Children's Museum - the largest in the world! So since we were so close I thought it only appropriate that we take the kids there to experience it too. After the museum, we ventured over to Plainfield, IN where I used to live and drove around all of our familiar spots and took the kids on a tour. It has been over 15 years since I have been back there so it was definitely a little weird to see how it has changed. We stopped by the park that we used to play at and took some pictures - which are on my moms camera too.When we were done with our tour, we got caught in a tornado and tornado warnings and had to venture back to the Applebees in Plainfield where we had to sit it out and wait for the tornadoes to pass before heading back to my Aunt and Uncles house, that was a little scary.

Once we got back we passed out and got up the next morning to head back to Omaha. Going back makes me really miss living near my aunts and uncles and cousins.

Upcoming we don't have much on our schedule, but I am taking the kids to my mom and dad's lake cabin over the 4th of July weekend and Owen and Raymond start swimming lessons from July 12 - 22 for two weeks. Other than that, my goal is to get alot of purging done around my house and catching up on paper work and getting organized for this Fall.

2 comments:

Dani said...

That last picture of Tess is AWESOME! I was smiling looking at pictures of your cute family, but then I got to that one had to smile even bigger! What a sweetie!

Mom said...

I love, love, love, Tess's pioture! These are all so good, and such a fun summer already! Can't wait to see you all next weekend for the 4th.....fireworks, swimming, wienie roast, and fishing...Yay!!!