Thursday, December 17, 2009

36 week checkup...

I had my 36 week check up today, though tomorrow is actually the first day of my 36th week, if that makes sense to all of you.

I have been having a lot of contractions lately and they have progressively gotten a bit more painful. Being only 35 weeks I had anxiety about that because I was praying that she didn't come early. Today my doctor checked me and I have progressed already a bit, which never happened with the boys. I am already 1 cm. dilated and 75 % effaced, for those of you that understand the lingo. She also told me that at this point if I go into labor on my own, she's not going to stop it because though there is risk of immature lungs this early, if my body says it's time, then nature knows best. I however, don't really think I will go anytime before Christmas. I think there might be a chance of labor starting towards the end of the last week of Dec. or the first week of Jan. I don't think I'll go to my due date, but I am not God and don't know the ultimate plan. :)

The other good news from the appointment today was that she is definitely head down and ready to go and she is almost as far down as she can get, hence the contractions starting. Once again for comparison purposes, the boys liked to hang out up higher and never got down low until labor was under way. She also thinks that Tess will be a tad bit smaller than the boys have been, so she says with fingers crossed, that this might be my "easiest" labor thus far - which is always good news to hope for! She is not planning an induction with this one unless she goes way beyond my due date or has a major growth spurt and seems like she's going to be too large, but both of those events are not really forecasted. She really wants me to start labor naturally (as I do) so that I can progress as much as possible at home and make the labor at the hospital seem quicker and easier. So fingers are crossed. I want that too, so I hope it happens.

Anyways...I'll keep you all posted, but my next appointment for 37 weeks is next Thursday (Christmas Eve) at 8:00am, where she'll check my progress again. I am hoping for 3 cm and 100 % effaced!!! ;)

Happy Holidays!

1 comment:

MOM said...

I hope your labor is smooth this time, too, Stacey, and Tess comes without too much stress. You've been so busy since before Thanksgiving, I don't know how you are doing it, and walking around so much. Take care of yourself, and relax as much as you can after the holidays. It will be interesting what Thursday brings.