Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas and Blizzards!

The week began as a busy one as usual. I had prepared the week for the daycare kids and my kids to keep them occupied with fun and Christmasy activities. Monday we had a play day, Tuesday we had a pajama day, Wednesday was our green day and Christmas party, and Thursday I only had two of my daycare kids, but we had a game and movie day.

I spent last weekend baking like a crazy woman (and still don't know what to do with leftover treats around my house). I made chocolate covered pretzels, white chocolate covered pretzels, peanut butter marshmallow bars, peanut butter chip and chocolate chip cookies, fudge crinkle cookies, and peanut butter cookies with the chocolate kisses in the middle. Then Wednesday night I made sugar cookies for the kids to decorate on Thursday for daycare and for Santa. Usually we make gingerbread cookies for Santa, but this year I was all baked out!

Thursday morning I had my 37 week appointment at 8am, and the result is that nothing had happened from 36-37 weeks. Still I am only dilated 1 cm and 75% effaced. Bummer. However, this was good news for the fact that I could get through Christmas without expecting Tess to arrive and make things a little chaotic. After my appt. I headed to Toys R Us, Target, and Wal-mart for some last minute shopping (since I only had two daycare kids Tony was happy to watch the 5 boys and let me get out of the house for once, especially since the beginning of the blizzard was getting pretty bad).

Finally I made it home on icy streets and still had to make my apple cream cheese coffee cake to take to Holly's for Christmas Eve dinner, wrap another 15 or so presents, decorate Santa cookies with the boys, and in general clean up the house. I only had two hours to do all of this in. So we rushed around and got it all done. Also as a little tidbit, little Tess is doing numbers on my stomach at night - Wed, Thur, and Fri. nights so far after going to bed I get violently ill from severe abdominal pressure (gas) and indigestion. So bad in fact it has caused me to throw up each of those nights and feel completely unrested and totally miserable!!!

So after my daycare kids got picked up, we loaded up the boys and dangerously headed over to my mother-in-law's house for our traditional Christmas Eve pancake dinner and to open presents from her and her husband. The roads at this point would be inadvisable travel, and though they only live on the other side of the city, on a good day it takes 20 minutes, so they were very slick and scary driving. At one point I even told Tony that we should just turn around and go home because it was only supposed to get worse by the time we headed home (which we had plans for going to the 10pm church service too).
We ate our pancakes, hung out for a bit and opened presents, when I had decided that for three reasons we needed to go home...1. I felt miserable!!! 2. the boys were SOOOO tired they were throwing tantrums left and right and with me feeling miserable I couldn't handle them very well. 3. the snow was coming down so hard that it had piled up above the tires of our suburban and we still had to make it home safely!

So we loaded up and headed out. Even the main streets were about a foot deep with snow and it took us about 45 minutes or more to get home driving only about 20 the whole way and in 4 wheel drive the whole way too. I also could barely see out the front window with the blowing snow and frozen windshield. Scary.

We got home and frustratingly put the screaming tired boys to bed, while I got sick again and had to lay down for two hours and pass out. When I woke up "Santa" had been hard at work putting presents under the tree and filling stockings, etc. So had tried to help him as best as I could, but didn't do much. I went back to bed for another fretful night of sleep.

Luckily the boys didn't wake us up until about 7am on Christmas morning, and it was so cute, because I LOVE that they are old enough to sneak a peek at presents and cookies, etc. before waking up me and Tony! I LOVE that. It reminds me of my childhood excitement for Christmas morning. Though I am now the parent and designated "Santa" I still have that excitement through the kids. My excitement now though is not for MY gifts but to see how excited they are to open theirs! I don't even care if I never get a gift for Christmas.

So the boys tore into presents, spent the day playing and tearing up the house with garbage and toy parts everywhere. After the festivities Tony made the traditional breakfast of omelette's, hash browns, and sausage links. After devouring our breakfast Tony headed outside for 2 hours to shovel the driveway and walkways (which were still hidden under snow even after two hours) and it was still coming down. I'm not sure what the overall total is of snow, but so far my guess would be at least 2-3 feet of snow.

While Tony shoveled, I spent the next few hours cleaning the house, cooking a ham and other Christmas dinner food for Tony's mom and husband to come over for dinner. Finally dinner was over, the house was somewhat put together (until today that is) and after an exhausting week, we put the boys to bed and Tony and I indulged in a game of Mario Party 8 for the wii that "Santa" brought for the family. :)

So overall it was a great Christmas. Tomorrow I will spend the day cleaning up all of our Christmas stuff that I would normally leave out until New Years but would rather have put away before Tess comes, just for one last thing to do upon her arrival. Due to the snow, Tony and I were bummed out that Christmas Eve and Christmas morning church services were cancelled, so hopefully we can make it tomorrow morning to the church service that they have pushed the time back too in order to hopefully get people to come safely to church.

I am going to put pictures in another post of just pictures since this post is very long already, and I don't feel like moving pictures for the next two hours since blogger doesn't make it easy to move them.
I hope you all had a wonderful holiday and I will keep you updated of the arrival of Tess any day now!

No comments: